Monday, September 7, 2015

A BRAND NEW BATHROOM

Back in February, my husband and I started a new nutritional program that required us to have "Cleanse" days - which basically meant we fasted for a day. On the very first Cleanse day, to keep our minds off being hungry, we decided to start demo-ing the boys bathroom.  Little did I know, on that cold day at the beginning of February, that this bathroom would not be completed until 4.5 months later.

Like, I just said, it all started with the removal of the tile.  This lovely olive green speckled tile basically went all the way around the room up to 54" high.  When I started taking it off, it was very clear that it had originally been installed using liquid nail - UGH!!
Because of this unusual original installation method, the tile was taking the drywall with it when we chipped away at it.  So, we would need to remove all the old drywall and install new.  Luckily, my husband had a lot of help for this step.


I'm sorry, but is that not the cutest thing you've ever seen?

After the walls were redone, we next focused on the floor.  We quickly discovered that there were three layers of vinyl flooring, with the last layer being installed on top of a 1/4" underlayment.  Once we got up that underlayment layer, there were literally hundreds of staples that needed to be removed.  After working on that for an. entire. day - the hubby came home and decided we need to pull everything up down to the subfloor.  I worked on that STAPLE REMOVAL for NOTHING!!!!

My frustration was short lived, once I saw the benefit of what we had already done.  When the new tile floors went it, I was instantly in love.

After a Very Busy Spring and Early Summer, and only being able to work a few days each month on the project, it all finally came to fruition the weekend before our annual big July 4th party.  Everything in the room is brand new except for the original Olive Green porcelain tub.

Presenting...
The vanity/top combo and the light fixture came from Lowe's.  The mirror was bought in Nogales, Mexico when I lived in Tucson many moons ago.
The faucet was the original one, and the backsplash tile also came from Lowe's.
The shower curtain came from World Market.  I was so excited when I found it because it pulled everything together - the color of the tile, the green tub, and the wall color, which was paint we had bought to match a different shower curtain that we had and were using when we had no intention of ever redoing the bathroom other than to repaint.  And in the pattern, it offered the perfect accent color - teal.
Love the little niche in the shower the hubby built.
Yay!  A new toilet!

I SO love the view I now see as I walk down the hall and pass this gorgeous room.  Now if I can just keep my boys from peeing on the floor, I'll be one happy Momma.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails